I’ve been trying to take more green smoothies and juices, but I haven’t quite yet sussed out a really good recipe to make all my veg seem less.. well.. undrinkable. I know many people swear by juicing and stocking up on large piles of veg in one go, but I can’t seem to crack the smoothie code – everything I make tastes gritty. Once I figure out a good recipe though, I’ll throw it straight up here!
However, the good news is that I’ve nailed my nut butter recipe. I made almond butter this afternoon and I’ve been eating it with a spoon ever since!
I’m really tempted to see how far I can make this nut butter recipe stretch too – it would be excellent as protein balls, as a cheesecake base, even to make cereal bars out of or to eat with ice cream. Genuinely, I’m obsessed with this. It was incredibly easy to make, minimal effort and tastes delicious.
Go now and immediately try it if you’re a nut fan. You’ll regret nothing.
3 tablespoons maple/agave syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon flaxseed/ chia seeds
1. Preheat the oven to about 180°C. Line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
2. Mix the almonds and maple syrup/ agave syrup together and spread out evenly on the baking tray. Place in the oven for about 7 minutes (or until golden brown).
3. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 mins or so. Then place in your food processor.
4. Add the coconut oil, the cinnamon, the vanilla essence, the seeds and any other ingredients that you feel might be nice in the butter (I’m tempted to add chocolate chips. Very tempted indeed.)
5. Blend in the food processor until you’re happy with the buttery consistency. You may need to scrap down the sides a few times and alter the amount of coconut oil, but it’s really hard to get wrong at this stage!
6. Scoop it up into a jar and place in the fridge. Try your very best not to eat it all in one go with a spoon – I was closely caught out by this!
Anyway it’s absolutely incredible. Let me know if anyone has tried any variations on this – I’m dying to use it as a base in all kinds of recipes! I think it would go excellently with chocolate or ice cream, so watch this space.