OAT AND DATE CEREAL BARS: VEGAN, DAIRY-FREE, RAW AND STILL DELICIOUS!
These bars are my new foodie fix. They’re absolutely incredible with tea, in lunch boxes or if you’re just in need of a sugar boost. Oh and even better, there’s no added/refined sugar. I think the best thing about these little bars is that you can essentially throw in any fruit, seeds or nuts into the bowl and they’ll still taste great! I’m not sure about the calorie count though, probably best to limit these to treats.
Makes: 25 bars
400g soft dates
1. Add the dates to the food processor and blend until they form a date paste.
2. Add the about 1/4 of the oats and 100mls of the water.
3. Continue adding in oats and water until all the ingredients are mixed in together. Take out of the processor and transfer into a bowl.
4. Using a wooden spoon, scrape the remaining oats from around the bowl and add in any optional ingredients you like at this point! I chose hazelnuts (roasted in the oven for 5 mins, skins removed and chopped) as well as blueberries and chia seeds.
5. Mix all the ingredients together and transfer to a tray lined with parchment paper. Using a knife, flatten out the mixture until it fills the tin. Sprinkle some oats, seeds, etc. over the top.
6. Then take your tray and place in the freezer for a few hours to allow the mixture to harden. Afterwards, remove the tray from the freezer and cut into bars! Put on the kettle, make some tea and taste test one (or several) of the bars. Then place the rest in a lunch box and use parchment paper between layers of bars to allow them to keep better!